Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week

Lambton Shores Fire and Emergency Services crest

Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week is November 1-7 and the Municipality of Lambton Shores Fire and Emergency Services is reminding residents about the dangers of carbon monoxide (CO) and encouraging them to take action to protect their homes from the silent killer.

CO is known as the silent killer because it is an invisible, tasteless, and odourless gas that can be deadly. CO is produced when fuels such as propane, gasoline, natural gas, heating oil, or wood do not burn completely in fuel-burning appliances.

“In Ontario, a majority of injuries and deaths from CO occur in the home,” said Lambton Shores Fire Chief Lawrence Swift. “We want to make sure everyone is safe from CO and remind our residents what steps they can take to be protected.”

One of the most important steps to protect your home is installing certified CO alarms and scheduling annual inspections on fuel-burning appliances by a registered contractor.

“Most homes will have a fuel-burning appliance, a fireplace, or an attached garage, which can all become a source of carbon monoxide in your home,” continued Swift. “If you have a fuel-burning appliance in your home, you must have a working CO alarm adjacent to each sleeping area of the home. For added protection, install a carbon monoxide alarm on every storey of the home according to manufacturer’s instructions.”

The most common household fuel-burning appliances that produce carbon monoxide include:

  • Fireplace
  • Dryer
  • Furnace
  • Stove
  • Water Heater
  • Portable Fuel Heater
  • Portable Fuel Fired Generator

To find a registered contractor near you, visit

In addition to installing CO alarms in your home, Lambton Shores Fire and Emergency Services reminds everyone that these alarms should be tested regularly. When the clocks fall back an hour in November, it's a great reminder to check all alarms in your home.

Exposure to CO can cause flu-like symptoms, such as headaches, nausea, dizziness, confusion, and drowsiness. In extreme cases, exposure can cause a loss of consciousness and death. If your CO alarm sounds, get outside to fresh air as soon as possible and call 9-1-1. If you or someone from your household is experiencing CO exposure symptoms, seek medical attention immediately.

More information and resources can be found using the buttons below, or by visiting the Office of the Fire Marshal website.

CO Safety tips

What is Carbon Monoxide?

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odourless, colourless, and poisonous gas.

Sources of Carbon Monoxide

On average, Ontario households have between 4 and 6 fuel-burning appliances that produce carbon monoxide, such as: furnace, BBQ, stove, water heater, dryer, fireplace, portable fuel-fired generators, or vehicles running in an attached garage.
It is also important to always ensure vents or chimneys are not blocked.

Testing Carbon Monoxide Alarms

CO alarms should be tested monthly or in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.

Signs and Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Signs and symptoms of CO poisoning can include:

  • Dull headache
  • Weakness
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Shortness of breath
  • Confusion
  • Blurred vision
  • Loss of consciousness or death.

Contact Us