Commissioner of Oaths

The Municipal Clerk acts as a Commissioner of Oaths in accordance with the Commissioners for Taking Affidavits Act and is available to commission or administer affidavits for certain documents.

There are a number of stipulations on the type of document which the Municipal Clerk is authorized to commission. Refer to the list below ensure your document can be commissioned at the municipal office. Municipal Commissioners reserve the right to refuse commissioning services of any document.

There is a fee of $15.00 per document.
Meeting with a Commissioner of Oaths

An appointment is not required to meet with a Commissioner of Oaths and can be done at the Municipal Administration Building (9577 Port Franks Road, Thedford) Monday through Friday between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.

However, to ensure a Commissioner of Oaths is in the office when you plan to drop in, please contact the municipal office or email the Clerk's Department.

List of Documents

The lists below identify what can or cannot be Commissioned.

Documents that CAN be Commissioned
  • Sworn Statement for the transfer of a family gift of a used motor vehicle in the Province of Ontario
  • Domestic and Foreign Pension documents (Proof of Life)
  • Legal Name Change Forms
  • Amendment to Birth, Death, or Marriage Certificate
  • Delayed Statement of Live Birth
  • Immunization Exemption forms 
  • Statutory Declaration of OSAP – Statement of Common-Law Status, Supporting Children
  • Statutory Declaration of Apprenticeship Hours
  • Statutory Declaration of Lost Identification (must include police report number)
  • Ontario Rental Housing Tribunal – Applications
  • Affidavit of Unregistered Vehicle (boards, motorcycles, snowmobiles, trailers, etc.)
  • Consent Letter for Children Travelling Abroad (as witness)
Documents that CANNOT be Commissioned
  • Notary Public Documents
  • Certified True Copies
  • Estate Settlement documents, Wills, Certification of a Pointed Estate Trustee with Will
  • Divorce, Separation, Marriage or Cohabitation Agreements
  • Litigation Guardian Affidavit
  • Power of Attorney
  • Custody documents
  • Documents involving Debts or Bankruptcy
  • Real Estate related Documents
  • Court, Legal or Civil issue related documents
  • Declaration of Claimant and Indemnity (bank form regarding estates) and replacement of shares
  • Statement of Arrears
  • Tender Documents
  • Ontario Mortgage and Housing Corporation documents
  • Affidavit of a Lost Cheque

If you have any questions about this process, please contact the Clerk's Department directly.

Contact Us