Lottery Licence Eligibility Review

Who can get a licence to conduct a lottery event?

If your organization is interested in lottery licensing, please submit a Lottery Licensing Eligibility Review Application and supporting documents to the Municipality’s Administrative office.

Charitable organizations may be permitted to conduct a lottery scheme to raise funds once a licence is issued. Organizations must have a demonstrated charitable or religious mandate to provide programs for:

  • Relief of poverty;
  • Advancement of education;
  • Advancement of religion;
  • Other charitable purposes beneficial to the community such as:
    • the promotion of arts and cultural activities
    • cultural, ethnic, native, historic or heritage pursuits
    • the improvement of the quality of health through medical research
    • treatment programs and preventative programs
    • youth sporting activities
    • community projects undertaken by service organizations

Eligible organizations fall into one of two categories.

  1. Charitable organizations: the organization’s objects or purposes are all charitable.
  2. Non-profit organizations with charitable objects: the organization has a mixture of charitable and non-charitable purposes.

The Municipality of Lambton Shores can only issue a lottery licence to an organization operating a lottery within the municipality’s boundaries.

What types of organizations are not eligible for lottery licensing?

An individual is not eligible for a lottery licence.

An organization is ineligible for a lottery licence if:

  • it is established as a profit-making entity;
  • it does not have a charitable object or purpose;
  • it promotes private benefits to a restricted class of members;
  • it is established solely for the purpose of adult recreation;
  • it is established for the purpose of tourism or other activities that are purely economic in nature; or
  • it is a sub-group, “partner” or auxiliary of an eligible organization that is already licensed.

Types of organizations which cannot be considered for lottery licensing include:

  • professional associations, unions and employee groups, except those set up to carry out charitable activities;
  • elected representative groups, including municipal, regional, provincial and federal governments;
  • government agencies or bodies;
  • political lobby groups and those attempting to persuade the public to adopt a particular view on a political issue;
  • advocacy, self-help and other groups solely dedicated to the political, personal and financial advancement of their members; However, if direct services that fall into one of the four charitable classifications are provided, advocacy or case management intended to represent individuals and secure appropriate charitable services for those individuals may be considered an eligible charitable purpose.
  • political parties;
  • adult hobby groups;
  • for-profit, members-only or private sports clubs and for-profit adult sports teams and leagues;
  • those promoting a political doctrine;
  • those attempting to bring about or oppose changes in the law or government policy;
  • municipal councils, municipal corporations and their administrative departments; and
  • organizations established solely for the purpose of fundraising.

The above list is not intended to be exhaustive. Every organization must be reviewed, based on the documents provided, since all organizations are unique.

How does my organization apply for lottery licensing?

If this is your first time receiving lottery licensing in the Municipality of Lambton Shores, please complete Lottery Licensing Eligibility Review Application and provide supporting documents to the Administrative Office. 

Once approved, determine what type of lottery scheme (raffle, bingo, break open ticket) your organization intends to conduct and complete the application form to submit to the Administrative Office. Please submitted the application at least one (1) week before it is required to allow time for a proper review. 

Who do I contact?

Municipality of Lambton Shores
9577 Port Franks Rd, 
Thedford, ON N0M 2N0
Phone: 519-243-1400 or 1-866-943-1400, option 3

How do I contact the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario?

Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario - Licensing and Registration
90 Sheppard Avenue East, Suite 200
Toronto Ontario M2N 0A4
General Telephone: 416-326-8700
Toll Free in Ontario: 1-800-522-2876
Fax: 416-326-5555

Contact Us