Marriage Licences and Weddings

The Municipality of Lambton Shores offers both marriage licences and civil wedding ceremonial services.

Marriage Licences

Every marriage in Ontario requires a Marriage Licence before the ceremony takes place. The Municipality of Lambton Shores offers marriage licences at the Municipal Administration Building at 9577 Port Franks Road, Thedford.

Application Form

A Marriage Licence Application form must be completed and signed by both parties to the marriage. The form must be submitted in person by the applicant and/or joint applicant with the appropriate documents.

Download the Marriage Licence Application

Submitting the Application Form

Marriage Licences are issued at the Municipal Administration Building (9577 Port Franks Road, Thedford) from Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

An appointment is recommended to obtain a Marriage Licence. To schedule an appointment, please contact the Municipal Clerk. Be sure to read the information on this page to ensure you have all required information and documents ready when applying for the Licence.

Remember: Marriage Licences are only valid for 90 days from the date of issuance.

The fee for a Marriage Licence is $125. We can accept cash, or debit.  We do not accept credit cards or cheques for this service.
Age Requirements

There are age requirements when applying for a Marriage Licence:

  • Applicants must be 18 years of age or older to obtain a Licence
  • Applicants who are 16 or 17 years of age must have both parents' present at the time of applying for a Marriage Licence (or parent with custody of minor)
  • No person under the age of 16 years may be married
Identification Requirements

Two (2) pieces of government issued identification for both parties is required. One piece of identification must be photo identification.

The first piece of identification must be a birth certificate including any change of name certificate, valid passport, records of immigration landing, Canadian Citizenship Card, or adoption papers.

The second piece of ID must contain a photo such as valid passport (if not used as first piece of ID), Valid Driver’s License, Nexus Card.

Canadian Divorce

If a previous marriage was dissolved or annulled within Canada, you will need to bring official proof of the divorce with you when you apply for a marriage licence. This can be the original or a court-certified copy of one of three documents:

  • the final decree
  • the final judgment
  • a certificate of divorce
Foreign Divorce
If a divorce was granted outside of Canada, please contact the Ministry for further information.
Other resources

Civil Ceremony/Weddings

An officiant from the Municipality of Lambton Shores can perform civil marriage ceremonies. The cost of an officiant to perform a ceremony is $200 (+ HST) during regular office hours (Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.)

For more information or to inquire about officiant availability, please contact the Municipal Clerk.

Wedding Venues and Facility Rentals

The Municipality of Lambton Shores has several wedding venue and facility options. Learn more on our Weddings Page.

Contact Us